Steve has worked in the leisure industry for over 20 years. Before setting up Active Away he spent 9 years with David Lloyd Leisure, where he was the Racquets Manager for DLL Derby, during this time he won the prestigious award of ‘Racquet Manager of the Year’ both in 2002 & 2005. He has extensive experience coaching tennis he enjoys working with players of all standards, helping them realise their goals and aspirations, Steve has built an excellent reputation through his enthusiastic and fun approach to learning the game.
Currently Steve plays on the ITF Seniors tour (over35’s) he has been ranked as high as No2 in GB and has also gained a world ranking of 66 for singles. In the doubles category he has won the British Grass Court Championships held at The All England Club in both 2008&9. If you choose to come on a tennis week that Steve hosts be prepared to be challenged, worked hard and make changes to your game.
- Started playing tennis at 15years
- 1990 Played full time for 1year on the Dave Sammel squad
- Represented Staffordshire numerous times at winter and summer county week
- Recently represented Derbyshire at Summer county week
- 2007 British Team Doubles champion
- 2008/9 British over 35’s Doubles champion
- Over 35’s British Ranking No2 in 2008&9
- 2009 British indoor Doubles champion
- 2009 South of England Doubles champion and Singles runner up.
- Started coaching at the age of 19
- 1991-1997 – Set up the Steve Davies School of Tennis – Had a team of 4 coaches delivering Mini Tennis coaching in 25 primary schools coaching over 500 children per week. In 1996/7 the school coached 70% of Staffordshire’s junior county players.
- 1993-1997 – Set up Racquet Sports shop – Having accounts with Wilson, Dunlop, Head, Price etc.
- 1997-1998 – LTA County Performance Officer (CPO) for Nottinghamshire LTA
- 1998-2007 – Racquets Manager for David Lloyd Derby – Won Racquet Manger of the year in 2000&2004
- 2008 – Present – Set up Active Away Ltd – Tennis holiday Tour Operator gaining a small business ATOL License
- 2009 – Secured contract as David Lloyd Leisure’s preferred Tennis Holiday supplier.
- 2010 – Took over the management of The Aldemar Tennis Club in Crete
- 1988 – Gained LTA ECA Qualification
- 1991 – Gained LTA ICA Qualification